08 Feb Ward Design Group – Design Build Process
Landscape Design Build -also known as “design-construct” or “single responsibility”, is a system of contracting in which one entity manages the design, engineering, and construction under one contract. In our Landscape Design-Build System, the design and construction contractor are one in the same. There is no information loss because every aspect of the process is controlled under one roof.
The traditional process to landscaping can often leave you to make important decisions on your own. You are responsible for finding a landscape designer to design your project and then finding a contractor to build it once it has been designed. It is then your job to ensure that they communicate and work together within your budget and vision. Many times you will not discover what your design is going to cost until much too late in the process. Our Landscape Design-Build System is different – it’s a one-stop-shop for all your design and construction needs. Many times a budget is established at the beginning of design, and then you and the landscape designer work together as a team to design towards your budget.
What distinguishes the Landscape Design-Build process is the source of responsibility, combining both designer and general contractor into one entity. This allows the home or commercial property owner to assign actual numbers to the drawings throughout the design process and provides the owner with a more accurate “picture” of realistic project costs.
One option for a design-build system is to identify a company that offers both design and construction services. Another option is to find a company which is willing to work with another company to provide the design-build concept. Regardless, design-build is a very attractive option for the owner as it allows the team to value engineer the project throughout the design phase. This ultimately saves the owner both time and money.
The Benefits of Our Landscape Design Build Process:
- Single source of responsibility eliminates finger-pointing
- Higher quality end results due to streamlined communication
- Proven to be most cost-effective way to build
- Eliminates costly waste of time from duplicate communication between landscape design and construction
- Reduces owner administrative burn-out due to elimination of need for mediation between designer and contractor
- More up-front knowledge of the actual cost of the project for the owner
- Coordinated review by designer and contractor throughout design process minimizes mistakes and subsequent costly change orders
- Corrections are facilitated by the team maintaining a common level of knowledge and understanding throughout the entire project
- Overall decreased cost
Potential Limitations of the Build Design Process
In addition to all of the benefits of the landscape design-build system, it is important to mention one possible weakness. In the design-build system, no third-party is involved to act as the balancing agent. If the owner is careful to choose a trusted well-qualified company, a third-party may not be needed. Regardless, it is vital to choose trusted team players who have your best interests at heart. This will greatly enhance your project, and ultimately, make the part you play in the project a much more rewarding one.